Saturday, March 26, 2011

So Says the Whippoorwill (by Richard Shindell)

SO SAYS THE WHIPPOORWILL   


DADGAD

Capo I



On the album, Richard plays this in standard tuning, capo VII, with G-shaped chords. He also leaves out the "Father Brown" verse. I'll eventually work up an updated transcription, but in the meantime, here's how he was playing it live up until the CD was recorded. By the way, the "mountaineer" in the last verse is the late singer/songwriter Dave Carter.
The (D)(D/C#)(D/B)(D) sequence in the first, third and seventh line of each verse is a walkdown thing; use the bolded notes for the bass line:
(D): 000200
(D/C#): 040000
(D/B): 020000
(D): 000200

(A): 002200
(G): 550000
(/F#): 400000 (this just a transitional walkdown chord from the G to the Em) 
(Em): 220000

Intro: (D)(D/C#)(D/B)(D)(G)(A)(D)
(D)The change could (D/C#)happen (D/B)any (D)day
(G)So says (A)the whippoor(D)will (D/B) 
(D)It comes 'round (D/C#)for the (D/B)seeds I (D)leave
Out (G)on the window (A)sill
Be (G)free, you (D)fool, be (G)free, you (D)fool
She (G)sings (/F#)all (Em)after(A)noon
And as (D)if to (D/C#)show me (D/B)how it's (D)done
She (G)leaps in(A)to the (D)blue (D/B)

And the (D)change could (D/C#)happen (D/B)any (D)day
Or (G)so say (A)all the (D)guards (D/B) 
(D)In the prison (D/C#)I have (D/B)built a(D)round
My (G)solitary (A)heart
(G)I tell my(D)self that (G)I'm al(D)right
That it's (G)not (/F#)so (Em)bad a (A)place
(D)Truth is that (D/C#)I'm just (D/B)scared to (D)death
Of (G)walking (A)through that (D)gate (D/B)

And the (D)change could (D/C#)happen (D/B)any (D)day
So (G)say my (A)true love's (D)eyes (D/B) 
(D)They see in(D/C#)to my (D/B)sha(D)dows 
With their (G)sweet forgiving (A)light
She (G)smiles and (D)says come (G)on, let's (D)go
Let's (G)stroll (/F#)the (Em)boule(A)vard
(D)It's such a (D/C#)shame to (D/B)waste the (D)night
(G)Just sitting (A)in the (D)dark (D/B)

No comments:

Post a Comment